Sunday, June 21, 2009

You´re STILL in Ecuador?

It’s been a long time since I’ve put up a blog. But, no worries, it’s only because I’ve started back into a regular routine of teaching and have been keeping very busy. Some new additions to my routine…

Pants!!
Machala has settled in to a nice comfortable warmth rather than an overwhelming, suffocating spell of heat and humidity. I can comfortably wear pants sometimes. It´s the highlight of my day when I get to wear an article of clothing that has been tucked away because it´s too heavy for Machala weather (pretty much any clothing is too heavy). We have been consitently seeing temps in the low 70´s to mid 80´s and the sun shows itself for a few minimal hours a day. It´s incredible. I´m sitting in my house right now, still in front of a fan, and not sweating through my clothes. Relief! It´s funny because people here also seem to see the change in weather as an opportunity to wear the ¨winter¨ clothes that have been tucked away for the last six months. On Monday, it had drizzled a bit in the morning and that evening, when I came to class, all of my students were dressed in close-toed shoes, sweaters and jackets and saying ¨brrrrr.¨ Mind you, it was still in the mid 70´s!

Returned friends:
Suzan and Mickey, missionaries from Virginia, returned for a much more extended visit. They had visited for about a week back in November. Suzan, who had accompanied me on some of my morning runs during her first visit, was back for a whole month, so I had a consistent running buddy for the hot, muggy mornings in Machala. In addition to the runs, having some fellow English speakers around was a welcome change for me. I really enjoyed the genuine company and companionship of Mickey and Suzan and plan to stay connected with their whereabouts in this world. They have since left Ecuador and are moving on to Costa Rica and then Nicaragua. They lead a wonderful and exciting life traveling and entering the lives and cultures of people around this world to share the Word of God.

Guitar!
I have been receiving guitar lessons in exchange for private English lessons. It’s quite the deal. I even have my own guitar on lend and am able to practice daily. I would like to continue with lessons when I return but they’re so expensive in the U.S. Although, I’m going to have to learn guitar in English because, as of now, I only know the guitar terms in Spanish.

Traveling all over this little country. A bigger feat than it sounds.
I have taken lots of little trips which have really helped to break up the routine and time spent alone in Machala. I’ve been making the rounds to visit WorldTeach friends in their home sites before the time comes to leave Ecuador. Last week was our End of Service conference in Quito where we pretty much wrapped up all business and some volunteers even headed back for the States already. We all finish up at different times depending on the schedule of the institution we’re working for.

Sad to say Goodbye...
It’s a bittersweet feeling knowing that my time here is coming to an end. I can honestly tell people that, in the beginning, I was not enjoying my time and experience in Ecuador as much as I had expected to. I often found myself counting down the months until I could go home. Then, about two months ago, shortly after I began receiving regular pay again, something changed. I can´t say what it was exactly, but I came to the realization that I was now, not just enjoying but, loving my time here and was sad to count down the days.

Looking back on the last ten months, I can only guess that what I was going through was a transition phase. It simply took eight or so months to really feel at home, established, and happy in my life in Machala. Now that I feel so happy and comfortable here, I don’t feel as though I’m ready to leave. But, I know, Ecuador will always be here if I ever feel it calling me back. And, I know for sure, I will be returning for a visit in the very near future. Though I’m sad to leave this life behind that I have established for myself over the past year, I am extremely excited to return to my home. My organized and structured home. My temperate weathered home. My home where I can drive my car. Where I can walk the streets anonymously. Where I can eat Mexican food and sushi! Where I can be near my family and friends.

Still so much to do!
So here’s where I am. About one and a half months until I land in San Francisco. Only three weeks of teaching left. Laura and Ellen are coming in the beginning of July to do some exploring in this beautiful little county. And, the greatest surprise twist to the end of my story in Ecuador, is that Molly is coming!! We had discussed this idea and decided it just wasn’t meant to be in this moment due to schedules and financial situations. But, only a short time ago, during one of our weekly Skype chats, something changed. One minute we were talking about the trivial events of our weeks and the next, Molly had booked a ticket to Ecuador! I really have no recollection of how we got from point A to point B. All I know is it happened and she’s coming and I couldn’t me more excited to share this little piece of my life with Molly which she hasn’t been a part of (and you know, she’s always been there for every part of my life since middle school).

So, that´s that. I fell behind on the blogs, but there may be another one or two on the way. We´ll see. Thanks to everyone who has supported me during this last year from abroad. I think of you all often and look forward to seeing you very soon. I´ve only got one month left in Ecuador and I´m going to give this last month my all and make it the best yet!

No comments: