Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Crossing the Border

Border crossing by bus…sure to be an adventure!
I have lived two hours from the Peruvian border for eight months and decided it was about time I crossed on over. My friend, Annie, and I decided to venture on South to the well-known beach town of Mancora. Luckily I had done a lot of border crossing research because it’s quite the border crossing experience. Four stops, and one question asking if we were from Mexico, later, we were safely across the border and only an hour from Mancora. We really lucked out and had a really nice bus helper who made sure we were on the right track. All bus drivers in Ecuador have a helper employed by the company. They’re not always the most friendly and discourage question asking. But this guy stayed with us up until the moment we were in a little moto cab to our hostel.

Peru uses little motorbikes with a little covered cart on the back for for means of taxi transportation. I’ve never seen this kind of thing before except in movies but apparently they can be found in other countries and might go by the name of “tuk-tuks.”

Mancora was the coolest little beach town filled with tourists and tuk-tuks. The Peruvian people we met were so friendly. The people in Ecuador are very friendly as well, but the simple acts of kindness we encountered really blew me away. Sometimes the simplest things can really make my day. While doing some street vendor shopping I had made friends with one of the vendors. I returned the next day to buy something from him. While looking at his bracelets I told him I really wanted to learn how to make the simplest stitch. He then offered to teach me, right then and there. He helped me make a bracelet, tied it on my wrist and insisted we take our bracelets and lessons for free. I think he was happy to have some company and change in his daily routine of selling on the street. Bracelet making had been on my mind forever. I had even bought some materials and attempted learning on my own but things just weren’t working out. I was so touched that he taught us and didn’t expect anything in return.

Our time spent in Peru was too short but we are in Ecuador to be teachers and had to get back for work on Monday. Border crossing back consisted of three bus changes, but everyone was helpful, and we made it back to Machala with new stamps in our passports!

Small, yet important, accomplishments
Crossing the border to Peru really is an accomplishment. If you google it, you’ll find blogs from past travelers who title it as “ the worst border crossing in the world” It’s definitely hazardous because of the millions of people and a bit complicated, but nothing unmanageable with a little research and help from the right people.

I have never felt as though I´ve achieved so many things in one year as I have while living in Ecuador. I’ve done so many things I would never have thought of myself to do and have overcome things that I would have used to think difficult but now just find them necessary and another step along the way. A lot of times they are little, like crossing a border. But in another country those little things seem so much bigger. Other times they are bigger, like teaching little rambunctious children. Whatever size such accomplishments may be, they have made me more comfortable with just diving in head-first and eagerly awaiting the outcome. It’s never bad. It’s always an experience.

No comments: